Kickoff May The Right Way!
Are you beginning May the right way?
We are exposed to news everywhere and often it is riddled and plagued with disaster and tragedy. Bad news thrives in our culture and is the cause of anxiety, stress, and depression in many people. For that reason, I periodically build a list of good news stories to remind people that this world is in fact a good place.
Human-interest stories increase trust and hope in humankind. Stories about improved living and health conditions are uplifting and encouraging. Lastly, no one can dispute the power of laughter; a good, clean, humorous story will leave a smile on your face every time!
As May begins, kick it off with a smile on your face and joy in your heart with these stories:
- A group of 13 truck drivers teamed up for a creative maneuver that helped save a man threatening to jump off a highway overpass. The man was eventually convinced to step away from the ledge. The world is filled with heroes.
- Cancer survivor fights rain, hypothermia, and severe exhaustion to finish the Boston Marathon after midnight. Mary Shertenlieb is unstoppable, saying, "“I kept thinking, I've done harder things than this. I’ve had cancer three times. I can surely, mentally, do this." Remarkable.
- This is a new one for me, a blind dachshund and HIS guide dog, who were adopted then split up in Virginia were reunited this week.
- At a Starbucks drive-through in St. Petersburg, Florida, U.S., a woman started a 378-person-long line of "pay it forward" at 7 a.m. After paying for her iced coffee, she went ahead and paid for a caramel macchiato for the next customer. This began a long chain of good deeds until 6 p.m.
- One of my favorites, 42 of the UK’s biggest retailers, supermarkets, manufacturers, and brands have taken a historic pledge to completely transform the plastic packaging sector by 2025. People are finally looking around and beginning to smarten up.
- Jaron Johnson is an 8 year old boy who already stands out as an upstanding citizen after his compassionate display of integrity. The little boy searched for the rightful owner of a $100 bill he found in the parking lot of a Walmart. The owner: an 86-year old man living on a fixed income. Good job, Jaron.
- A paralyzed man walks down the aisle at his wedding. His story of tragedy and resilience is remarkable. If you want to be moved to tears and get chills, check out the impactful video here.
- Bette Maloney, 88 year-old grandmother, is surprised by her grandchildren with tickets to see Justin Timberlake. Needless to say, her reaction is just the sweetest thing and it was captured on video. I think you want to see this.
- Finally, there is good news that lasts throughout all history and at every moment. It is a hope for something beyond this life, a purpose and meaning that transcends us. A love and trust in the man and Savior, Jesus Christ. If you don't know him yet, I encourage you to find a Bible and read just a little about his life.
Life is too short to focus on the bad. It's not useful and creates an unnecessary fear in us.
Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain... To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices - today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it. -Kevyn Aucoin